Photography . . . Travel . . .

Saturday, June 23, 2012

More Baby Jaguar Pictures - San Diego Zoo

It seems like things often take longer than you might expect, and I've found that being impatient rarely helps. This morning's trip to the Zoo was a good example. I got up to the Jaguar exhibit at about 10:00AM, and all you could see was Nindiri, the new mother, sleeping on her side in a dark doorway. The little cubs were nowhere to be seen. There were several other people there, all waiting around for something they thought should have already happened - which was the cubs coming out to play where we could see them. Tikal and Maderas, who were just born on April 26th, obviously had other ideas. So, we waited.

After almost half an hour, some sign of life from Nindiri. It didn't last long.


After a while she finally decided to go outside and sit in the sun. Still no sign of the little ones.


Finally, an hour and a half after I got there, they poked their little heads out. This is Maderas, the female.


Maderas seems to be a lot more adventurous than her brother Tikal. She was wandering all over the place checking out the new surroundings. They've only been allowed outside since Tuesday, and from talking with some friends, it sounds like this morning may have been the first time they've gotten very far from the doorway.

 
Where ever they went, mom kept a close watch on them.



Brother and sister, Tikal and Maderas.


One very protective mother.


I think this next shot has to be one of my favorites from the day. 


On my way across the Zoo at the start of the day I did stop to check out the little crocs that are in the pool that's partway down the Tiger Trail.


Click here to see a few more images from my morning walk around the San Diego Zoo.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.