Photography . . . Travel . . .

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

San Diego Zoo - Oct 19 & 20, 2013 - Tiger, Leopard, Birds and Fishing Cat

Here are some images from Saturday and Sunday, October 19-20 at the San Diego Zoo.

Since I pretty much always make a beeline for the Malayan Tigers as soon as I arrive, we'll start out with a shot of Connor.


When things quiet down at the tiger enclosure in the mid-morning we generally head over to Cat Canyon to see what the other big cats are up to. Here's one of the Amur Leopards.

Here's a little different view of the same cat.


My friends and I spent some time at the big ponds at the bottom of the canyon later in the day. There are always lots of birds, including the white pelicans.


The Egrets are local birds that fly in and out as they please.


They've figured out that a good time to be there is when the pelicans are being fed . . . and they often snag a fish or two for themselves.


On my way out in the late afternoon I made one more stop to see if Connor the Malayan Tiger was anywhere visible. He was, and I wound up staying there for over an hour. The very late afternoon light on Saturday was great.


One last stop at the Flamingo pool as I headed for the exit.


I spent all day Saturday at the Zoo; on Sunday I didn't get there until around 4:00pm, which is only an hour before closing. I didn't get many pictures, but I did get a great view of Parvatti, the female Fishing Cat, sitting in her little cave. It was really dark, but she was nice enough to hold still for me while I took a few shots.


Click here to see more images from the San Diego Zoo on Saturday and Sunday October 19 & 20, 2013.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.