Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Ring-Tailed Lemurs and Black-Crowned Night Herons

My favorite bird at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (formerly known as the Wild Animal Park) is not even really a part of their collection - the black-crowned night herons are a local bird species that takes advantage of the free food and a pleasant place to hang out. 


The shoe-bill storks are a strange looking bird. It's always fun to watch the reactions of first-time visitors to the Park when they first spot this thing.


There were quite a few good looking birds out there on Saturday afternoon.



Several of the larger exhibits were closed, and the tigers (one of the main reasons I stopped there in the first place) were not out. It was mid-day, so I wasn't really expecting the ring-tailed lemurs to be very active (I usually see them active late in the day), but it turns out they were the highlight of the day. Zoonooz Magazine ran an article on these 2 lemurs a few months ago, but I just can't remember their names. I do recall that they are sisters though. If I had to pick a favorite furry animal at the Park it would have to be the lemurs (or maybe the meerkats - they're certainly my favorites at the San Diego Zoo).




In that last shot she looks to be deep in thought, but in reality she's deep into a snack that she's holding in both hands and chomping on.


The meerkats were not all that active, and it was dark and cloudy when I happened by their little area, but I did manage to get one good shot.


Click here to see more images from Saturday afternoon at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park just outside of Escondido, CA.
     

2 comments:

  1. Wow Frank. I must say that fast Tele lenses agree with you. Your photos are stunning with such beautiful bokeh and separation from the background. I think you've found your calling. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Frank, you sure are in the groove with your new gear! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.