Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Bridge Is On Fire

Every once in a while there is a fire in one of the towers that supports the Laurel Street Bridge. This bridge, which along with the Coronado Bridge is one of the most recognizable landmarks in San Diego, crosses over State Hwy 163 and provides an entrance to the Park from Laurel Street. By the way, the bridge's actual name is the Cabrillo Bridge, but most people know it as the Laurel Street Bridge, since it's a continuation of Laurel Street as you head from the Bay up into Balboa Park.


Some time this afternoon a fire must have broken out in one of the tall columns on the Laurel Street side. The columns look like they're made of stone, but there is apparently a lot of wood inside. The firefighters were pouring water and some sort of foam down in the tower from the top. I don't have any more details other than what I saw for myself this afternoon, the San Diego press has been too busy reporting the results of the Rock N Roll Marathon to bother with this sort of news. These shots are cropped heavily, as I wasn't carrying the type of lens one would normally use for this sort of shots.




    

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.