Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Maritime Museum of San Diego

I stopped in to the Maritime Museum of San Diego for a brief visit this afternoon. It just seemed like the thing to do after a lunch of fisherman's soup at Point Loma Seafoods.


My first stop was the submarine USS Dolphin. 




On my way to the Russian sub I got a shot of the bow of the steam yacht Medea, which I converted to black & white.




Next up was the Russian B-39 submarine. This one is always fun to take photos in - there is so much to see, and the colors of the paint and lights make for an interesting atmosphere. The first thing you see when you enter the forward hatch is the torpedo room.




This was an officer's stateroom. The crew's quarters were bit more primitive (they got to share space with the torpedos).








In order to get from one end of the boat to the other you have to crawl through 5 of these water-tight hatchways. Definitely not for people with bad backs.




Back out in the fresh air, here's one last shot from the day, the figurehead of the HMS Surprise. 




Click here to see a few more images from my visit to the Maritime Museum of San Diego on June 12, 2011.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.