Heather and I decided to spend a few hours walking around the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park in Escondido this afternoon. It was a pretty warm day, probably in the low 80's, but very nice in the shade.
We started out by wandering up into the garden areas that are on the way to Condor Ridge. I found this bird of paradise on our way up the hill.
One of my favorites at the Safari Park is the burrowing owl that lives up at Condo Ridge. I'm always amazed at how he can swivel his neck.
The prairie dogs are pretty cool too. It looks like they just got some new boxes to play with.
The big male lion stuck his head up for just a few seconds, and then went back to sleep. There were also 2 female lions nearby, they were both out cold. Well, it was mid-afternoon, and it was warm. We also saw the 2 15-month old Sumatran tigers, but they were both laying on their sides sound asleep. There is a photo of them in the gallery linked below.
I think I carried the camera more than I shot it, but here are couple more shots to finish this up. No shots of the lemurs this time, the whole lagoon area was under repair, and all the water was drained.
Click here to see a few more images from our walk around the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (formerly known as the Wild Animal Park) on Sunday, January 29, 2012.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2018 (59)
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- Calli the Cat
- San Diego Zoo's Safari Park - A Short Afternoon Walk
- An Evening View of the San Diego Skyline from Coro...
- A Quick Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Zoo - January 22, 2012
- Brothers - Christopher & Connor - Malayan Tiger Cu...
- Anza Borrego - Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Sat...
- Year of the Dragon - Happy Lunar New Year!
- Another View of Hoover Dam
- Anza Borrego Desert State Park - Sunday 15 January...
- Leo Carrillo Ranch - Carlsbad, CA - San Diego dSLR...
- San Diego Zoo - Jan 7, 2012
- Old Town San Diego
- New Year's Day at the San Diego Zoo
- Wandering In The Desert On The Last Day Of The Yea...
- ▼ January (15)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.