Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Malayan Tigers - Christopher and Connor

When I left the house this morning I told Heather that my plan was to only stay at the Zoo for about an hour. All I wanted to do was get a few pictures of Christopher and Connor, the San Diego Zoo's 20-month old Malayan Tiger cubs, together before they ship Christopher off to his new home at the other side of the country. I almost didn't go at all, as it was raining for most of the drive down to the Zoo, and even for a bit while I was in the parking lot. Luckily that was the end of the rain, and it turned into a really nice day, and I wound up spending 3 full hours just hanging out with Christopher and Connor.

They weren't actually together very long, and since all I had with me was a long lens, they had to be right next to each other in order to get them both in the frame. Over the 3 hours that I was there they alternated between napping and playing - mostly napping, but when they got up it was worth the wait.







It's going to be sad to see Christopher leave, but I do realize that tigers are solitary animals and that in the wild they wouldn't stay together much longer than this anyway. Plus, I'm told that they have a girlfriend lined up for Christopher in Virginia, and that they'll be bringing in a girlfriend for Connor as well. Maybe we'll have some new cubs in San Diego soon.



After a while Connor trotted on down the hill to play with a new toy that the keepers had put out for them.



He seemed to like sneaking up on it from behind the big tree in the center of their habitat. He did that a couple of times while I was there.





It wasn't until after I got home and looked at this next shot on a large monitor that I realized what was written on the top of this big plastic thing that was swinging from a chain. I guess now that these 2 are as big as their mother it's probably okay.








Christopher mostly just stayed up at the top of the hill while his brother played around. He did come down occasionally though.





Even though they look full grown, one of the keepers told me that they're still technically cubs until about 2 years old.

Click here to see more images of Christopher and Connor, Malayan Tiger cubs at the San Diego Zoo, on Sunday, Nov 18, 2012. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.