Another trip to Anza Borrego, this time on Saturday 3/27, and we followed the same route I took on 3/23. This time I had a few more people along, including my cousin in his new Tacoma, some friends in their new Jeep, and another friend from the Xterra club. After the usual stops at Split Mountain we hiked up to the Wind Caves before continuing on to Sandstone Canyon.
Here's the view of Fish Creek (the sandy wash in the low point of the picture, which is where we were parked) from the Wind Caves. The temperature was really not all that bad, but it was still a long, hot, dusty hike; the wind helped keep the temps down but did blow a lot of sand around.
We found a shady spot to stop for lunch. On the way out, we had stopped to pick up a freshly baked Dutch Apple pie at the Julian Pie Company in Santa Ysabel.
Here's our little caravan lined up in Sandstone Canyon.
View from the driver's seat as we made our way out of Sandstone Canyon.
We made a stop at the Cactus Garden off of Harper Canyon and Kane Springs Road, just as the sun was getting low in the sky.
We hit the pavement at Hwy 78 just as the sun was setting, and made our way over to the little Italian restaurant at the Borrego Springs Airport. None of us had tried it before . . . it was actually pretty good, and a great way to end a beautiful day in the desert.
Click here to see more images from Saturday in Fish Creek, Sandstone Canyon and the Cactus Garden at Anza Borrego Desert State Park.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2018 (59)
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- Another Trip to Anza Borrego - More Sandstone and ...
- Sandstone Canyon, Fish Creek, and the Cactus Garde...
- Cactus Flowers . . . and more.
- Balboa Park
- A Late Afternoon Walk Around Balboa Park
- San Diego Botanical Garden - SD-DSLR March Group S...
- Digging Up Some History - Old Images Scanned
- Flowers, Sand, Rain, Mud, Giant Sloths, Camels, Co...
- Scripps Birch Aquarium and Cabrillo Monument
- Anza Borrego Wildflowers and Off Road Exploring
- ▼ March (10)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.