Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Some San Diego Zoo Images From This Weekend

It seems like I spent most of this weekend at the San Diego Zoo, and most of that at the Malayan Tigers. I'm not quite sure why, but I find it quite relaxing wandering around the Zoo taking pictures. I'll often spend an hour or two in one place, especially with the tigers, waiting for something good to happen. I rarely try to cover the whole Zoo, unless I'm showing an out-of-town guest around, but instead concentrate on just a few animals.


Christopher and Conner were sitting way up in the back of the habitat on Saturday morning, just watching the people walk by. Many of them didn't even notice the little beasties were there at first.




The little guys wrestled around with each other a bit, played with Mom for a bit, and finally came towards the front when the keeper showed up with some food for them. Here's Christopher watching intently.




Bullet the Fishing Cat was out and wandering around looking for bits of food the keeper had placed around his habitat.






The Malayan Tapir was in her usual morning spot. She doesn't move a whole lot during the day (since tapirs are nocturnal). Evenings in the summer are best time to see her up and about.




I got there a little earlier on Sunday morning than I did on Saturday. It was still a little overcast, which meant some great light on the Flamingos.




Christopher, Conner and their mom, Mek, were all three napping in the little alcove next to the pond at the uppermost viewing area. It's pretty dark in there, but I managed to get a few shots. I had to get down on the ground to get eye level with them. He was almost too close for my lens to focus.




Mom was sitting furthest back in the cave, watching - both the cubs and the people. I certainly don't know this cat all that well, but I have a feeling that look on her face is the "I wonder just how many of these people I can eat in one sitting?" look. 




After a while they wandered up the hill, and then all 3 started chasing each other around. More accurately, I think it was Mek chasing the cubs around.




When the keeper showed up with some beef heart they changed their attention from each other to the tasty snacks. Here's a shot of Conner this time.




On my way out I stopped to see if the Johnston's Crocodiles were in a good spot. I watched the darker one for quite a while, and then the lighter one crawled over and lined up behind him. The glass is really dirty, and there's a lot of glare and reflection on it, but these guys are fun to watch regardless.




Here's one last shot, a young Mandrill.




Click here to see more images from Saturday and Sunday, October 15 & 16, 2011, at the San Diego Zoo, including a couple close up shots of Mek that you would not ordinarily see, and a lot more of the 3 tigers wrestling around together.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.