Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, September 30, 2012

More Nice Early Evening Light at the San Diego Zoo

I went back down to the San Diego Zoo this evening, mostly with the intention of getting in a  bit of a walk. They're open until 6:00pm for a few more days - I got there at about 5:00pm. The temperature and the light were quite nice. The Flamingo pool is generally pretty active late in the day, tonight was no exception.


One of the adult female Malayan Tigers was napping up against the glass at the upper pool area, pretty much too close for me to get much of a picture with the long lens I was carrying. After a while she did look up a couple of times, and I was able to step back far enough to get enough of her face in the shot to make it recognizable.


I stopped off at the Red Pandas for a few minutes.


The Red Pandas are right next to the Takins.


I wanted to get up the hill to the Lion and Jaguars before closing, and that took me past the Grevy's Zebras. It seems like all they ever do is eat, occasionally looking up to see what else is going on around them.


I got up to the Lions right after they went inside, so I went over and hung out with the Jaguars for a while. Just as it was time to leave, M'bari, the big male Lion, came back out and started pacing back and forth along the fence. Well, actually he was sort of nonchalantly stalking a lady in a wheelchair who I had been talking with earlier. Whichever direction she went, he went. Most of the tine he was way too close for a picture, but I got one shot of him through the dusty glass at the end of the enclosure. There was a lot of glare and reflections (some of which you can still see here), but I kind of like the way it turned out anyway.


Click here to see a few more images from Sunday evening, September 30, 2012 at the San Diego Zoo.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.