Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Reptiles, Birds, Tigers . . . A Few Hours at the San Diego Zoo

We're back from our week in Seattle but those pictures will have to wait a few days, as there are quite a few to go through. In the meantime, here are a few images from this morning at the San Diego Zoo.

I went to the Reptile House for my first stop today, and got to the Green Mambas just as they were noticing their Sunday treat - fresh mice.  You'll have to click through to the gallery with the link at the end of this post to see those. Here's one of the Mambas checking us out first.


There was a lot of glare on the glass, but these 3 huddled together up under the heat lamps  were just too good to pass up.




I think this one is a Black Skink, and I don't think I've noticed him before.


There's a big bottle-brush tree just outside the Reptile House, the flowers back and side-lit by the low morning sun caught my attention.



It turns out that the tree has caught the attention of a few hummingbirds as well.


This Mandrill was hanging out under a tree on the trail down to the Tigers.


I stopped by to see what the Malayan Tigers were up to - not much it turns out. Ran into a friend there, and we talked for a while. Eventually one of the males (Christopher) came out briefly, but he didn't stay in view long.


Last stop before heading back out the same way I came in was the large bird pool at the bottom of the canyon. I think this is a Great Blue Heron.


Here's an Egret.


Neither of these 2 birds had bands on their legs - like me, they've just stopped in to the Zoo for a visit.

Click here to see a few more images from this morning at the San Diego Zoo.
     

1 comment:

  1. That is the best shot of the Mandrill I've ever seen. I bet even the animals were relieved with the break in the heat from yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.