Photography . . . Travel . . .

Monday, October 8, 2012

Saturday At The Zoo

Heather and I spent the whole day at the San Diego Zoo on Saturday. Usually it's just me, and I generally only stay part of the day, but this time my sister and her family joined us. Here are a few images. We got there right at opening, and the morning light on the Flamingos was particularly nice.


The Hippos were out swimming around, it's the first time I've seen them doing that in a while. Usually they're just huddled up in a corner napping.


The Amur Leopards were up, sort of.


The Mountain Lions (Puma, Cougar) were paying a lot of attention to any small children that happened to pass by, especially kids in strollers.


I think this is the first time I've seen both of the Lynx up and moving around. It probably helped that a few minutes before we got there the keepers had put out some fresh meat snacks for them.



We spent a lot of time around the big cats, which is exactly what my niece wanted to see. We got really lucky, with so many of them up and about. Well, all except the the two I usually spend the most time at - the Malayan Tigers and the Jaguars. We didn't see much of either of them. Here's a Cheetah, up close and personal.



We spent some time with the Giraffes. The newest ones are getting bigger every day. Our last stop was the Reptiles. The Indian Gharials are always fun to check out.


This Boa Constrictor was tough to get a clean shot of, but he was great to watch . . .


. . . and I finally got a shot of snake's forked tongue, even if it is a bit blurry.


My niece and nephew each brought their iPods and took lots of pictures. Just in case she didn't find any good animals to take pictures of, my niece brought a friend along. This is Chester the Leopard - or maybe he's a Cheetah - hard to say. I shot these from a ways back with my long lens as she set up the shots for her camera. Here he is in front of the Flamingos.


Here he is checking out the Amur Leopards.


Checking out a cool Elephant sculpture on the way into the Elephant Odyssey exhibit.


Catching a mouse. My niece was getting pretty creative in spotting places to put Chester for a photo op.


Click here to see more images from our day at the San Diego Zoo on Saturday, October 6.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.