One of our favorite places to walk around for a couple of hours while in Seattle is the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks and Carl S. English Botanical Garden, and the Fish Ladder - all just called the Ballard Locks for short by locals. The locks were opened in 1917 to allow ship passage from Puget Sound to Lake Union and Lake Washington. The fish ladder allows salmon to move upstream to spawn.
Follow the fish.
The viewing windows at the Fish Ladder are a lot of fun this time of year, when the salmon are making their way upstream. I get hungry just standing their looking at all that salmon.
The Carl S. English Botanical Garden, which is part of the complex, is also a nice place for a walk. We were there on the weekend of the fuchsia show.
Click here to see a few more images from the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks, the Carl S. English Botanical Garden, and the Fish Ladder, taken during our September 2012 trip to Seattle.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2018 (59)
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- A Very Short Trip to Seattle - With a Night at the...
- Miramar Air Show 2012 - US Navy Blue Angels
- Miramar Air Show 2012 - F/A-22 Raptor and P-51 Her...
- Miramar Air Show 2012 - F/A-18 Hornet and AV-8B Ha...
- Miramar Air Show 2012 - Marine Air-Ground Task For...
- Miramar Air Show 2012 - Patriots Jet Team
- Miramar Air Show 2012 - Celebrating 50 Years of Ma...
- Saturday At The Zoo
- Seattle In September - Kubota Garden
- Seattle In September - A Narrow Bridge With a Grea...
- Seattle In September - Great Northern Railway and ...
- Seattle In September - Chihully Garden and Glass
- Seattle In September - Boeing Museum of Flight
- Seattle In September - Japanese Garden at Washingt...
- Seattle In September - Washington Park Arboretum /...
- Seattle In September - Hiram M. Chittenden Locks a...
- Seattle In September - Around Town
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.