Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Afternoon Walk Around The San Diego Zoo - Tigers and Jaguars (and Some Birds)

The stormy weather from Friday and early Saturday didn't last long, and by Sunday morning it was pretty nice in San Diego. Actually, Saturday was really nice too, just windy. I spent Sunday afternoon wandering around the San Diego Zoo, mostly hanging out at the Malayan Tigers and the Jaguars. I probably spent more time talking with friends I ran into along the way, and with new people I met, than I did actually taking pictures - but I don't view that as a bad thing.

Dow the Fishing Cat was out, but the light was harsh and the shadows deep.



I spent the first hour and a half or so at the Malayan Tigers. After a while Christopher and Connor, the two cubs walked around for a bit. They'll be 2 years old in April, and they're now at least as big, if not bigger, than their mother Mek.



They didn't stay out for long, here they are heading back up to the top of the hill (where it's hard to get a shot of them).





From the Malayan Tigers I headed over to see what the baby Jaguars were up to. I ran into M'bari, the big male Lion, on the way. 



The baby Jaguars are getting bigger. I've not seen them in a month. This is the longest stretch of time I've gone between visits to see them, and you can really see the change. One of the cubs was pretty agitated, and they were chasing each other, and their mother, all around the enclosure.













On my way back back over to the Tigers I found some cool Great Blue Herons and Egrets at the lower bird pool.





I got back to the Tigers just as the cubs were getting ready to go in for the evening. That meant that one of the other tigers was going to be out shortly.



After Christopher and Connor went in a keeper came out and scattered some meat around the exhibit, and a few minutes later (after the keeper was safely out of the way) out came Danai, the Zoo's 19-year old female Malayan Tiger.





Click here to see a few more pictures from the San Diego Zoo on Sunday, November 11, 2012.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.