Photography . . . Travel . . .

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Few From Last Weekend At The San Diego Zoo

Here are a few shots from last Saturday and Sunday at the San Diego Zoo. I spent a fews hours there on Saturday morning, then went back that evening for the Nighttime Zoo with Heather and some friends. I also stopped in for a bit on Sunday late in the afternoon.

The little gharials seem to like their new pool. The glass isn't very clean, but the light and glare is not too bad early in the day.



The baby jaguars were hanging out with their mother in the cave. 


Nindiri, the mother, went outside a few times to lounge in the sun, but the cubs stayed inside and mostly just napped in a corner.


The big lion was out.


Here's a watchful mother duck and her duckling. She never let the little one get very far away.


When we were there on Saturday evening one of my friends got a shot of a flamingo chick poking its head out from under its mother's feathers in the nest. It was a particularly good shot, and I didn't see it until after we left the Zoo, so I thought I might head over there on Sunday evening and try to get a similar shot myself.

I think I was a few hours too late.


It's been a long time since I've seen the big mandrill down by the fence. This time he was almost too close.


It took over half an hour of waiting but I did manage to get a few shots of the female fishing cat that I liked.



I got to the tigers on Sunday evening just as they were bringing the cubs in and putting their mother out for the night. The tigers get whole rabbits to eat on Sundays. Before the keeper let the tiger out into the exhibit she placed a white rabbit right up front where we could watch the tiger get it, but you'll have to click through to my gallery page for Sunday to see that picture. Here's Mek looking up between bites.


Click here to see more pictures from Saturday, June 30. 2012 at the San Diego Zoo.
      
Click here to see more pictures from Sunday, July 1, 2012 at the San Diego Zoo.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.