Photography . . . Travel . . .

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Baby Jaguars Are Getting Bigger . . .

The San Diego Zoo's baby Jaguars are getting bigger, but they're still basically kittens . . . even if they are looking like they're almost as big as Aldo and Calli. I just happened to get there just as they were coming out to play for the day.


They don't seem to be afraid of climbing into the trees, and their keeper mentioned today that they are even going in the pool occasionally.


The brother and sister cubs Tikal and Maderas chased each other around quite a bit. If I've got it right it was Maderas, the female, doing most of the chasing. By the way, many of these shots have been cropped quite a bit to make them bigger and get rid of distracting parts, but sometimes I just couldn't completely get rid of the out of focus tree branches that were between me and the cubs.




This looks like a little baby jaguar face-off.


The cubs' mother Nindiri was right there the whole time - occasionally they would all 3 get together.


It looks like she's got little Maderas in a headlock here.


Here are a couple shots of Nindiri as she was wandering around the enclosure.



Click here to see more images (mostly of the Jaguars) from this morning at the San Diego Zoo.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.