I spent a few hours this past Saturday wandering around the Gaslamp Quarter of downtown San Diego, and in particular the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum. This was also the time of the Chinese New Year celebration in downtown San Diego - in this case a 2-day street festival covering a few blocks centered right in front of the museum. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to practice with my new Fuji X-E1 camera.
The San Diego Chinese Historical Museum is not very large, but it does have a nice collection of items spread over 2 buildings in a part of downtown San Diego that was home to a large Chinese community many years ago.
There is a very nice small garden behind the main museum building, including a koi pond.
On my way back across downtown to my car I stopped in to check out the Horton Grand Hotel.
This paper-mache horse in a room off the hotel lobby apparently has been around for quite some time. The sign said that it stood outside a downtown saddlery shop for 79 years.
Click here to see more images from the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego and the San Diego Chinese Historical Museum, from Saturday February 16, 2013.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2018 (59)
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- Balboa Park San Diego - Late Afternoon / Early Eve...
- San Diego Zoo
- Wandering the Backroads of San Diego County - Sant...
- Balboa Park and San Diego Museum of Art - New Asia...
- San Diego Chinese Historical Museum and the Gaslam...
- Pacific Southwest Railway Museum - Campo, Californ...
- San Diego Zoo - Jan 20 and Feb 2, 2013
- Happy Lunar New Year - Year of the Snake
- ▼ February (8)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.