Balboa Park has to be one of the best places in San Diego for a late afternoon walk. There is almost always something going on, and this time of year the flowers are especially nice.
That blurry effect was not done with software by the way, that's just a shallow depth of field from using a large aperture.
The Alcazar Garden has a new batch of flowers, they replant it several times a year to match the seasons.
I found some interesting compositions and some old statues in the courtyard of one of the buildings.
More flowers, this time from the Zoro Garden.
One of the things I noticed when we were at the Botanical Garden yesterday (see the previous blog post) was that most everyone, myself included, seemed to always be trying to find flowers that had perfect form. No dust spots, not petals out of place, no splotchy color. Today I spotted several of these little purple flowers that are well along in making their way into the food chain, and thought that what was left of this one was just as good looking, in its own way, as a perfectly formed one.
I'll close with the last shot that I took today, just before I left the Park to head home to make dinner. It's the leaf of a flax plant, backlit by the late afternoon sun.
For those that wonder about such things, these were all shot with the Pentax K20D and the DA35 Macro lens, handheld.
Click here for more images from my walk around Balboa Park this afternoon.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (55)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- Another Trip to Anza Borrego - More Sandstone and ...
- Sandstone Canyon, Fish Creek, and the Cactus Garde...
- Cactus Flowers . . . and more.
- Balboa Park
- A Late Afternoon Walk Around Balboa Park
- San Diego Botanical Garden - SD-DSLR March Group S...
- Digging Up Some History - Old Images Scanned
- Flowers, Sand, Rain, Mud, Giant Sloths, Camels, Co...
- Scripps Birch Aquarium and Cabrillo Monument
- Anza Borrego Wildflowers and Off Road Exploring
- ▼ March (10)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.