We spent Wednesday and Thursday nights at Heather's family's cabin in the Cascade Mountains east of Everett, just off of U.S. 2 at Baring. In order to get to and from the cabin we got to drive across this one-lane bridge. If it was not quite so cloudy you would see Mt. Index in the distance.
The cabin looks out into the thick forest, with Index Creek just down the hill a bit.
On Thursday we drove further east on U.S. 2, over Stevens Pass and to the town of Leavenworth. Along the way we found a display detailing the history of the Great Northern Railroad line that runs along the same route as the highway.
We also found some stretches of the original Cascade Highway, from before U.S. 2 was put in. It's not quite 2 lanes wide, and even narrower in some places, but the pavement has been maintained. It's always nice to get off the main road for a while.
The town of Leavenworth is on the dry side of the Cascades, so it was much sunnier and warmer out there. They've built the town into a Bavarian village. It's sort of tacky, but still fun. Too bad the food isn't as good as the real thing. It's close, but not quite there.
We did find a good Danish bakery in Leavenworth for a mid-afternoon snack, in my case it was the cherry-custard danish, and it was every bit as good as it looks.
There are some great old iron bridges along U.S. 2, this one is near Gold Bar. The pedestrian walkway (which is only on one side) is decked in wood. Heather long ago got used to me abruptly pulling over the car in order to run back along the road to get a few pictures of old bridges like this.
Click here for more images from along U.S. 2 in the Cascades between Everett and Leavenworth.
Click here for more images from our trip to Leavenworth on June 17, 2010.
Click here for more galleries from our week in Seattle June 13 - 19, 2010.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (55)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- Scottish Highland Games - Vista, CA - June 26, 201...
- A Week in Seattle - An Evening in Tacoma
- A Week in Seattle - Kubota Garden
- A Week in Seattle - In the Mountains
- A Week in Seattle - Woodland Park Zoo
- A Week in Seattle - Pike Place Market
- A Week in Seattle - Around Town
- Encinitas - San Diego DSLR June Group Shoot
- Portuguese Navy Tall Ship N.R.P. Sagres in San Die...
- A Good Day at the San Diego Zoo
- ▼ June (10)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.