Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Flying Leathernecks

This shot may look a bit abstract, but the subject is actually of some historical significance. This is one of the front rotor blades from a USMC CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter. Not just any CH-46, this is the one flown by Capt. Gerry Berry, call sign "Lady Ace 09", that was used to transport the American ambassador out of Saigon on 30 April 1975.




You can see Lady Ace 09 and many other Marine Corps planes and helicopters at the Flying Leatherneck Museum in San Diego, located off Miramar Road on the edge of the Marine Corps Air Station. If you happen to visit on one of their "open cockpit" days as I did, you can even go inside some of the aircraft, including this one.






Click here to see more images from the Flying Leatherneck Museum in San Diego.


Happy 4th of July everyone, and thanks to all my military friends for their service.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.