Photography . . . Travel . . .

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunday Drive - Anza Borrego Desert State Park (Sandstone Canyon)

Heather and I drove out to Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon in Anza Borrego Desert State Park with friends Rae and Robert on Sunday.

Fish Creek Wash starts out wide and flat, and gets narrower as you head "upstream". Here are a few chunks of sandstone that have fallen since the last time I was here, which was on March 27, 2010.


The entrance to Sandstone Canyon is 12.2 miles up Fish Creek from the start of the trail at the end of Split Mountain Road. It then runs for about 2.5 miles before you have to turn around come back out the way you came in. Since Easter Sunday 2010 you now have to turn around at about 1.4 miles, as there was a rather large rock fall that has blocked the canyon.


There is still one of the really narrow spots left that you can still drive through.


I do have to admit that Heather was a bit annoyed with me that we were rolling forward when I took this next shot. Actually there is plenty of room between the canyon wall and the left side of that boulder.


We found a nice shady spot for lunch.


Ready to roll after lunch.


On the way back we detoured through Loop Wash, which is much less travelled than Fish Creek. This is a great time of year to be out in the desert.


We plan to be back here again on Nov 20th when I lead an SCCX (Southern California Club Xterra) trip along this same route.

Click here to see more from our Sunday drive in Anza Borrego on Nov 7th.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.