On the southern shore of Lake Tahoe, part way between the town of South Lake Tahoe and Emerald Bay, is an area of US Forest Service land now known as the Tallac Historic Site. In the late 1800's it was known as the site of a grand resort and several large estate homes. We toured the grounds, the Baldwin Estate (now the Visitor Center) and the Pope Estate mansion, as well as the site of the former "Lucky" Baldwin resort hotel complex that was dismantled in the early 1900's. The Tahoe Heritage Foundation in conjunction with the US Forest Service have done an excellent job of restoring the old buildings and opening them for tours.
The Pope Estate is a very impressive home, which was only used in the summer. The volunteer docents provide a very good tour, with lots of information about the history of the estate and the area.
Apparently that door on the second floor used to open to a fire-escape, until a tree fell and sheared it off. Now it's a "door to nowhere".
These estates sat on some prime lakeshore, which is now open to the public. Our guide mentioned that of Lake Tahoe's 72 miles of shoreline, only about 17 of that is public access.
Click here to see more images from the US Forest Service's Tallac Historic Site at Lake Tahoe.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- Some Tiger Pictures From This Weekend - Tiga and C...
- Recent San Diego Zoo Pictures
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 6 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 5 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 4 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 3 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 2 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 1
- Connor, Malayan Tiger at the San Diego Zoo
- ▼ June (9)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.