Our last day on the road . . . 340 miles from Bishop to San Diego. We didn't intend to make many stops, but we did want to see the old fish hatchery building and Manzanar, as well as the views of the mountains.
Back around 1919 it was decided to build a "highway" from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe. Here's what's left of the original 8' wide concrete roadway, a little ways south of Bishop.
Looking west, towards the mountains. It's pretty dry out here.
We stopped off to see the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery, which was built in 1916, from 3,500 tons of granite. The sign said that the two to three foot thick walls were built with stones not cut to size but rather "collected and sorted to fit".
Our last stop was the site of the Manzanar War Relocation Center. Over 10,000 Japanese-Americans were held here during WWII. The National Park Service, working with some volunteer groups, has rebuilt a few of the buildings and has now opened the area for visitors. We didn't go inside any of the buildings, but we did drive the unpaved auto tour road around the perimeter of the camp.
The guard tower has recently been rebuilt.
At the back of the camp, there is a memorial and a small cemetery.
Click here to see a few more images of the Manzanar War Relocation Center.
Click here to see more images from along US 395.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- Some Tiger Pictures From This Weekend - Tiga and C...
- Recent San Diego Zoo Pictures
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 6 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 5 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 4 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 3 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 2 ...
- California Mountain Road Trip - May 2013 - Part 1
- Connor, Malayan Tiger at the San Diego Zoo
- ▼ June (9)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.