I spent a few hours walking around the Zoo this morning. The monitor lizard was out in the sun warming up. This thing is huge.
The Galapagos tortoises were enjoying their breakfast. They can chomp through that stuff pretty quickly.
Mom and new baby hippo (born Jan 26, 2011) were out sitting on the sand by their pool. That thing that looks like a giant rock in the background is Mom.
I stopped by the pond at the bottom of the canyon below the raptors to check out the some of the birds - lots of flamingos, and lots of other birds too..
I made it a point to get back to Tiger River in time for the keeper talk, and it was worth the wait. The keeper tossed a rabbit to the female tiger, who ran down the log to catch it and then carried it to a quiet corner to enjoy her mid-morning snack. I did get a few shots of the tiger with the rabbit in her mouth, but I don't think I'll post those pictures here. Here's Daniai (I think) watching - she knows something tasty is on the way.
On my way out I stopped in to check out the pygmy hippos. They're really small compared to Otis, who lives in the big hippo pool, but up close like this they don't look like anything you would want to come face to face with.
Click here to see more images from my Sunday morning walk around the San Diego Zoo.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (64)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- A Sunday morning walk around the San Diego Zoo
- Baby seals and some flying birds - A few hours at ...
- Calli the Cat
- I took an old friend for a walk around the Zoo tod...
- A Few From Sunday - the Presidio and a Nice Sunset...
- A Few More From The Centennial of Naval Aviation
- Centennial of Naval Aviation - San Diego - Feb 12,...
- Some Recent Flower Pictures
- Balboa Park and Waterfront Evening With Friends
- ▼ February (9)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.