Not too far outside of Beaufort, South Carolina, in an area called Yemassee, are the ruins of the Old Sheldon Church. Originally built in 1745-55, it was burned in 1779 by the British during the Revolutionary War. After the war the church was rebuilt in 1826, only to be burned again by Federal troops during the Civil War (or gutted by locals who needed building materials after their own homes were burned - apparently as of recently there are conflicting stories). Either way, it was never rebuilt, and this is how it looks today. Services are still held here once a year, and you can arrange to get married here as well. The church is located just off Sheldon Church Road between Gardens Corner and Yemassee, about 2 miles north of US 17. If you're driving between Charleston and Savannah (which is exactly what we were doing) this is well worth the effort and small detour to find.
Heather and I had the whole place to ourselves, except for a lot of bugs, and the residents of the graveyard. It was almost eerily quiet there, so I'm going to continue that theme by posting these photos without any further narrative.
Click here to see a few more images of the Old Sheldon Church in Yemassee (near Beaufort), South Carolina.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- More Baby Jaguar Pictures - San Diego Zoo
- Minneapolis - You Betcha!
- Sunday Morning at the San Diego Zoo - Baby Jaguars...
- A Short Visit to Aiken, South Carolina - Horse Cou...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 9 - Fort Jackson ...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 8 - Savannah, Geo...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 7 - Hunting Islan...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 6 - Old Sheldon C...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 5 - South Carolin...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 4 - Charleston Gh...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 3 - Audubon Swamp...
- Exploring the Low Country - Part 2 - Magnolia Plan...
- Exploring the Low Country of the Southeast U.S. – ...
- Baby Jaguars At The San Diego Zoo (And Some New Sm...
- ▼ June (14)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.