Here are some recent bird images from the Friday and Saturday afternoons, October 11 & 12, at the San Diego Zoo. Not all of these birds actually belong to the Zoo, many of them just fly in and take advantage of the plentiful food. In fact, I think that the only ones here that do belong to the Zoo are the Flamingo and the White Pelican. The rest are locals. There are 2 large ponds at the bottom of the canyon below the Tiger Trail, and the late afternoon light is really nice there this time of year.
These egrets are locals.
Same for the blue heron. I heard the other day the the blue heron's beak is very strong, and that they do use if for stabbing. That might explain why when this guy started threatening a much larger pelican it backed down pretty quickly.
And most of the ducks.
The low sun in the late afternoon really intensifies the color of the flamingos.
Here's a close-up of a white pelican.
I actually did get quite a few pictures of the tigers on those 2 days too, but I got even better ones on Sunday, so I'll stop here for now.
Click here to see more from the San Diego Zoo in the afternoon sunlight on October 11 & 12, 2013, including tigers, gharials and more.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (64)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- Happy Halloween
- Ducks, Flamingos and Crested Screamers - San Diego...
- San Diego Zoo - Oct 19 & 20, 2013 - Tiger, Leopard...
- A Little Different View of an Egret
- Up Close With An Amur Leopard
- Connor (the Malayan Tiger) in Some Really Nice Lig...
- Birds - San Diego Zoo
- Fishing Cat and Amur Leopard in the Sun (and some ...
- Golden Eyes - Tiga the Tiger
- Connor, Malayan Tiger - San Diego Zoo
- Connor Poses For Us, and Tiga Lounges In The Pool ...
- ▼ October (11)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.