The Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala was the first Franciscan mission founded in the Californias, on July 16, 1769. I stopped by for a couple of hours late in the day recently, to catch the late afternoon sunlight on the buildings.
The front of the church faces southwest, almost straight into the setting sun, which can make for some interesting photos . . .
. . . especially on those rare occasions when they open the front doors late in the day.
Another cool thing about visiting in December is that the setting sun is in just the right place to cast a shadow of the bells on the wall of the church.
Click here to see more images of the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala, in San Diego, California.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2018 (42)
- Cinta - Malayan Tiger
- Connor the Malayan Tiger
- Mission San Diego de Alcala
- Point Loma Lighthouse at Sunset
- Malayan Tigers - San Diego Zoo
- Cinta and Berani - Malayan Tigers
- Thanksgiving Day Breakfast with Connor the Tiger
- Malaysian Fishing Cat - San Diego Zoo
- Big Cats and Little Cat - San Diego Zoo
- ▼ December (10)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.