We started out meeting for dinner at the il Fornaio Italian restaurant near the Ferry Landing on Coronado. The view across San Diego Bay to downtown is pretty good from there. This time I even remembered to take a shot of my dinner before I started eating. They have an appetizer plate that, when combined with a salad, makes for a nice light dinner. Maybe not all that light when I think of how much bread and olive oil I had with it. This is grilled scallops, shrimp and calamari with a flavorful parsley sauce drizzled around it. The tentacles on the calamari are the best part by the way.
After dinner LaRee, Greg and I wandered out to the walkway along the Bay. It was still pretty bright out there for night shots of the skyline, but were able to get some interesting shots looking towards the sunset. As usual this time of year, there was a marine layer towards the west. You can see 2 of the 3 aircraft carriers currently in port here.
Along the way we started talking with Terence, a member of the U.S. Navy, who was out taking photos on his last night in San Diego before heading back to Bremmerton, Washington. He joined our little group for the rest of the evening.
The il Fornaio Restaurant is, to me at least, one of the better Italian restaurants around, and one that really does give the feel of being in Italy.
After a while James showed up, bringing our little group up to five of us. We headed over towards the Ferry dock just as the last ferry of the night was getting ready to leave.
I got James to hold still for a full 12 seconds or so, enabling me to take this shot without any sort of flash or fill light, just the available light from the dock.
A night heron showed up on the ferry dock railing, and was good enough to hold fairly still for a few shots. This could probably be a bit sharper, but there really wasn't all that much light for this handheld shot.
Click here to see more shots from Thursday evening at the Ferry Landing in Coronado, California.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- Sea Horses and Jellyfish - Scripps Birch Aquaium
- Ethnic Food Fair at the International Cottages - B...
- An Evening in Pacific Beach
- More Night Photography - Santa Fe Station, San Die...
- San Diego Maritime Museum - Sunday, May 23, 2010
- Sicilian Festival - Little Italy, San Diego - Sund...
- Night Photos in San Diego - this time from Coronad...
- Syttende Mai (17th May) - Norwegian Constitution D...
- Night Shooting in Balboa Park - May 12, 2010
- Sunday Drive - San Diego Backcountry - May 9, 2010...
- San Diego Zoo - SD-DSLR May Group Shoot
- From Poles to Trolls - And Some Other Things As We...
- Little Italy & Balboa Park - Sightseeing Around Sa...
- ▼ May (13)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.