Every year on the Sunday closest to May 17th the Norwegians of San Diego get together in Balboa Park to celebrate Constitution Day, more commonly known as Syttende Mai, or simply the 17th of May. This national holiday of Norway celebrates the signing of the Norwegian Constitution on 17 May 1814. The celebration has been held in the International Houses area of the Park for many years now, and it's always been one of my favorites to attend.
The festivities start with a big parade.
Everyone got lined up, but they had to wait while a TV personality from Norway did her thing. The interviews and parade were being televised in Norway this year.
Finally the parade was under way. It went on for quite a while.
Time for a snack. The House of Norway was serving vafler, waffles with jam and sour cream. The line was long, but it was worth the wait.
The San Diego Norwegian Men's Choir performing.
Watching the festivities.
Before I left I stopped in to a few of the other houses. The House of Ireland was serving Irish Whiskey Bread, Irish Soda Bread and Colcannon, and the House of Poland had some grilled Polish sausage that they served on a piece of bread with a slice of pickle. Lots of good food to sample today.
Click here to see more images from the Norwegian Constitution Day celebration in Balboa Park, San Diego.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (55)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- Sea Horses and Jellyfish - Scripps Birch Aquaium
- Ethnic Food Fair at the International Cottages - B...
- An Evening in Pacific Beach
- More Night Photography - Santa Fe Station, San Die...
- San Diego Maritime Museum - Sunday, May 23, 2010
- Sicilian Festival - Little Italy, San Diego - Sund...
- Night Photos in San Diego - this time from Coronad...
- Syttende Mai (17th May) - Norwegian Constitution D...
- Night Shooting in Balboa Park - May 12, 2010
- Sunday Drive - San Diego Backcountry - May 9, 2010...
- San Diego Zoo - SD-DSLR May Group Shoot
- From Poles to Trolls - And Some Other Things As We...
- Little Italy & Balboa Park - Sightseeing Around Sa...
- ▼ May (13)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.