On Sunday Heather and I met up with a couple other members of SCCX, the Southern California Club Xterra, for an off-road drive in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park of Eastern San Diego County. We traveled up Fish Creek Wash to Sandstone Canyon, with a stop along the way for a hike to the Wind Caves. The weather was about perfect on Sunday, with a high of about 80, but there was cool breeze to temper that nicely.
It's about a one-mile hike up from Fish Creek Wash to the Wind Caves. The views are quite spectacular, in all directions.
Here's Heather and Karen checking out the scenery.
Looking back down from the top of the Wind Caves towards Fish Creek Wash, where we parked the Xterras.
After our hike in the hot sun we were ready for some shade and lunch, including a fresh apple pie from the Julian Pie Company that we picked up on way over the mountains earlier that morning. Since we had a small group (7 of us, in 3 Xterras), I took the group to my favorite lunch spot, a large sandstone boulder with a flat spot on top, that is nicely shaded in mid-day. Most people just drive right past it, without realizing there is a nice flat spot on top, with a nice bed of soft sand up there too.
After lunch we drove into Sandstone Canyon, walked around a bit, then turned around and headed out in the late afternoon.
Here's me, followed by Mike and Justin, in a narrow part of Sandstone Canyon.
Click here to see more images from Sunday, March 13, 2011 in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- A Few Images From Sunday in San Diego
- Ring-Tailed Lemurs and Black-Crowned Night Herons
- Experimenting With a New Lens - Late Afternoon Lig...
- Full Moon Over San Diego
- San Diego Skyline from Harbor Island
- Anza Borrego - Fish Creek, Wind Caves and Sandston...
- St. Patrick's Day Parade 2011 - San Diego
- Anza Borrego - Buttes Pass and Borrego Mountain Wa...
- A few shots from the San Diego Zoo
- Evening Photos
- ▼ March (10)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.