You can't miss these guys when you walk in the gate of the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (formerly known as the Wild Animal Park) in Escondido, California. Well, actually, if you didn't look up high overhead you might not see them, but you certainly can't help hearing them.
This Hyacinth Macaw is named Sampson. I was speaking with one of his keepers for a bit, apparently he really likes attention from people.
I didn't get these guys' names. I'm not sure I would have been able to hear it over the noise they were making.
There were only a few meerkats out today.
This guy was staring intently, looked he was about to snag something with the pointy beak.
I got there fairly late in the afternoon, and it's starting to get warm again after a few cool days. The male lion was on top of the Range Rover, working on his tan. Out cold, from the looks of it. I was there for quite a while, he never moved.
The two females were napping in the shade of a nearby tree. Every now and then they would stick a head up . . .
. . . and then it was back to sleep. At one point one of them rolled over onto her back. She looked just like Aldo when he wants his chest rubbed.
These are some pretty big cats. I wouldn't be surprised if they're close to 200 pounds each.
These two antelopes are probably what that big male lion was dreaming of. Either that or the 2 lionesses under the tree.
Even though it was warm it was still a nice afternoon for a walk around the Safari Park.
Click here to see more from this afternoon at the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Big Cats and Little Cats - Malayan Tigers and Fish...
- Saturday Morning Walk - San Diego Zoo
- Well, Now We Know What's Eating Our Herb Garden
- San Diego Zoo Safari (Wild Animal) Park
- Tigers and Otters (and a Slender-Snouted Crocodile...
- A Cat Naps In The Sun
- An Evening in Balboa Park - SD-dSLR September Mont...
- San Diego Zoo - Saturday, Sept 3, 2011
- Snack Time
- ▼ September (9)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.