I arrived at the Zoo right as they opened this morning. It was cool and completely overcast, very unusual for September in San Diego but great for photography. There was a harpy eagle on the stage right by the entrance, so I took advantage of the opportunity to get a shot of one of these without a fence in the way.
While I was waiting for a friend to arrive I wandered over to see what the flamingos were up to. They were all clustered over on one end of the habitat, and pretty excited about the food the keeper was putting out for them.
We spent some time at the tigers, then went down to the hippos, and got there just in time to catch little Funani leaving.
Just kidding. Actually, we did get to watch Funani and his mother swim around for a while. You can see a few more hippo pictures by following the link at the end of this post. We also spent a lot of time at the tigers, I'll put them and the fishing cat in a separate post.
This Malayan tapir has really blue eyes. She was a bit tough to get a good shot of since she was sitting right behind a piece of glass. You can find her on the Tiger Trail, partway between the fishing cats and the tiger, and almost right next door to the albino Burmese python.
When I first got to the polar bears it was so crowded I couldn't really even see the bear that was in the water right up against the glass. Then as I was walking away I found a spot that most people hadn't noticed, and got this great angle to shoot from. There is still a little glare from the glass I had to shoot though, but it wasn't too bad.
On my way out I stopped to get a shot of this Johnson's Crocodile.
Click here to see more pictures from the San Diego Zoo on Saturday, September 24, 2011.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (77)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Big Cats and Little Cats - Malayan Tigers and Fish...
- Saturday Morning Walk - San Diego Zoo
- Well, Now We Know What's Eating Our Herb Garden
- San Diego Zoo Safari (Wild Animal) Park
- Tigers and Otters (and a Slender-Snouted Crocodile...
- A Cat Naps In The Sun
- An Evening in Balboa Park - SD-dSLR September Mont...
- San Diego Zoo - Saturday, Sept 3, 2011
- Snack Time
- ▼ September (9)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.