I stopped in to the San Diego Zoo for a few hours this morning, and spent most of my time watching the tigers. Mek and her two cubs, Christopher and Conner, were out when I first got there. As is often the case, I spent more time standing around waiting for them to get up and wander into view than I did actually seeing them.
A little after 11:00AM a keeper showed up and tossed some chunks of fresh meat to them. That definitely got their attention. Here's Mom Mek, and sons Christopher (far left) and Conner (center).
That's not a yawn, he's growling (sort of) at the keeper for more food. It was a strange high-pitched sound though, not at all what you might expect.
One of the chunks of meat wound up in the pond at the bottom of the enclosure.
I don't think he was quite ready to get wet, this was far as he got. Malayan tigers seem to like water, so I'm sure he'll get used to it soon. I don't think he ever found the meat.
These things sure looked sharp.
A couple of the river otters were chasing around and wrestling with each other. Maybe it's just the light, but they've got really strange looking eyes.
The sun was getting pretty bright, so I decided to call it a day. On my way out I stopped by the African Slender-Snouted Crocodile. He's behind glass - that's probably a good thing, but it does make it tough to get a decent picture, with all the weird colored reflections.
Click here to see more images from the San Diego Zoo on Saturday, September 17, 2011.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Big Cats and Little Cats - Malayan Tigers and Fish...
- Saturday Morning Walk - San Diego Zoo
- Well, Now We Know What's Eating Our Herb Garden
- San Diego Zoo Safari (Wild Animal) Park
- Tigers and Otters (and a Slender-Snouted Crocodile...
- A Cat Naps In The Sun
- An Evening in Balboa Park - SD-dSLR September Mont...
- San Diego Zoo - Saturday, Sept 3, 2011
- Snack Time
- ▼ September (9)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.