Photography . . . Travel . . .

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fishing Cats - San Diego Zoo

I spent a few hours on Saturday morning at the Zoo, mostly watching the Malayan tiger cubs chase each other around in the water. I'll put up some pictures of them later. When I first stopped by the Fishing Cats on my way down Tiger River, Miri was sitting up on her favorite spot just watching.


The one I've never been able to get good pictures of in the past is Bullet, the male. On Saturday I got lucky. After spending quite a while with the tigers, I stopped by the Fishing Cat enclosure again on my way out. I watched Miri for close to 30 minutes but she barely moved, so finally I decided lunch was more important. Right before I got to the Zoo exit I ran into the keeper who takes care of Miri and Bullet. She had a bowl of fresh meat in her hand, and said she was on her way to give Bullet a snack. She was going to pull Miri in off exhibit, places chunks of meat in various spots around the enclosure, and let Bullet out so that he would have something to go looking for.

Bullet weighs about 25 lbs but doesn't really look all that big. He moves pretty fast too.


He's spotted a piece of meat on the log that crosses the pond.




I think this next one is my favorite shot of Bullet so far.


Click here to see more pictures of Miri and Bullet, and a bunch of shots of the Malayan tigers as well, from Saturday morning, October 1, 2011 at the San Diego Zoo.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.