One of just about everyone's favorites at the Miramar Air Show is the demonstration assault on the air field by the Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF). We were pretty much front and center for this on Friday.
From the description in the Air Show program:
"MAGTF's are self-sustaining combined-arms forces organized to accomplish specific missions. Each MAGTF is made up of four elements: Command, Ground Combat, Aviation Combat and Combat Service Support. . . Within a matter of days a MAGTF can arrive anywhere in the world, and can immediately set out to accomplish its mission. . . This highly trained team is also an extremely effective disaster relief unit, delivering supplies, offering medical aid, assisting in rebuilding efforts and saving lives."
It all starts out with the jets flying in to take a look around, then the AV-8B Harriers and F/A-18s refuel from the KC-130 tanker, and the assault is on.
A UH-1Y Huey drops in and a group of Marines fast rope to the ground.
Once this first group has completed their task they're extracted from the field by the Huey. All the while the Harriers and F/A-18s are circling overhead, along with a few Cobra gunships, and a pair of MV-22A Ospreys.
A pair of CH-46 Sea Knights come in to drop off supplies, while a Cobra gunship stands guard not far away.
A CH-53E Super Stallion brings in a vehicle.
Meanwhile, additional ground troops are advancing on the air field. . .
. . . along with armored support.
At one point the troops on the ground call on the Harriers, which swoop in and drop napalm on the enemy.
Once the field is secured the Ospreys return, tilt their rotors for landing, and unload their supplies.
Finally, the Harrier comes in for a vertical landing.
After the demonstration the Marines walk down the front of the spectator area to greet the crowd.
Click here to see more images from the MAGTF demonstration at the 2011 MCAS Miramar Air Show.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (55)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Scripps - Stephen Birch Aquarium - San Diego
- Another Great Saturday at the San Diego Zoo
- Evening Walk Around Little Italy San Diego
- San Diego Zoo - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011
- Some San Diego Zoo Images From This Weekend
- Sunday Morning Walk Around The San Diego Zoo
- A Little Road Trip Across The Desert
- A Few Tiger Pictures From Saturday
- Fishing Cats - San Diego Zoo
- Miramar Air Show 2011
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - The Blue Angels
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - Sean Tucker's "Oracle Chal...
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - Marine Air-Ground Task For...
- ▼ October (13)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.