Heather and I went to the Stephen Birch Aquarium at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography at UCSD this afternoon. It's always a fun place to wander around for an hour or so. Here are a few pictures from this afternoon.
The jellyfish and the moray eels are two of my favorites to watch. They're also some of the toughest to get good shots of. I think I got lucky today.
I found this colorful little fish in one of the tropical tanks.
Most people seem to walk right past the sand eels. I think they glance into the tank, don't see any fish swimming around, and just keep going.
This was in one of the local waters tanks. Heather spotted it, and said she thought it was pretty cool looking, but neither of us remembered to write down just what it was.
Scripps has a great collection of seahorses, all sorts of varieties including the kind you generally think of, like this one . . .
. . . and then there are the leafy sea dragons - which look like something from Dr. Seuss.
Click here to see a few more images from our afternoon at the Stephen Birch Aquarium.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Scripps - Stephen Birch Aquarium - San Diego
- Another Great Saturday at the San Diego Zoo
- Evening Walk Around Little Italy San Diego
- San Diego Zoo - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011
- Some San Diego Zoo Images From This Weekend
- Sunday Morning Walk Around The San Diego Zoo
- A Little Road Trip Across The Desert
- A Few Tiger Pictures From Saturday
- Fishing Cats - San Diego Zoo
- Miramar Air Show 2011
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - The Blue Angels
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - Sean Tucker's "Oracle Chal...
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - Marine Air-Ground Task For...
- ▼ October (13)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.