The Blue Angels shows always start out with Fat Albert, the C-130T Hercules transport that is used to carry all of their maintenance and support personnel and supplies. Unfortunately they ran out of Jet-Assisted Take-Off (JATO) bottles in 2009, so we don't get to see those spectacular jet-assisted take-offs any more. It's still an impressive aircraft to watch fly.
The Blue Angels have been performing for 65 years. These days they're flying F/A-18 Hornets, which they get from the fleet once the plane has reached the end of its carrier arrestment functionality. Here's the lead pilot, in Blue Angel One, taxing for take off.
The Diamond Formation. Blue Angel Seven is a two-seater, where they can carry a guest. I imagine it must be quite a ride.
We had really great weather at the air show on Friday, there were some nice clouds to give some character to the sky.
There was also enough moisture in the air to produce some great vapor effects at times.
Quick question - how many planes in this next picture?
Check out the heat mirage coming from the engines in this next shot.
"Maybe if we split up they won't know which one of us is which." I think this is the first time I've seen 2 Blue Angel Sevens in the same show. I think Friday may be considered sort of a practice day, and they were taking the opportunity to give rides to 2 different special guests.
That's it, time to head off into the clouds.
Click here to see more images from the Blue Angel's performance at the MCAS Miramar Air Show 2011 on Friday, September 30, 2011.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Scripps - Stephen Birch Aquarium - San Diego
- Another Great Saturday at the San Diego Zoo
- Evening Walk Around Little Italy San Diego
- San Diego Zoo - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011
- Some San Diego Zoo Images From This Weekend
- Sunday Morning Walk Around The San Diego Zoo
- A Little Road Trip Across The Desert
- A Few Tiger Pictures From Saturday
- Fishing Cats - San Diego Zoo
- Miramar Air Show 2011
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - The Blue Angels
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - Sean Tucker's "Oracle Chal...
- Miramar Air Show 2011 - Marine Air-Ground Task For...
- ▼ October (13)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.