Photography . . . Travel . . .

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

A Week in Nova Scotia - Part 5 - Art Gallery of Nova Scotia

We found so many fun and interesting things in the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia that I've decided to give this its own blog post.  The AGNS started out as the Nova Scotia Museum of Fine Arts in 1908, and is an agency of the Province of Nova Scotia.  It is now the largest art museum in Atlantic Canada. 





Detail of a painting depicting fisherman bartering with coal miners.



The exhibit titled "Arms Length", about the northwest area of Halifax, was interesting.



The streets haven't changed much at all, I'm pretty sure I can spot the location of our hotel in this old map.



The underground space connecting the North and South wings of the museum had some really weird stuff in it.



One of the centerpieces of the Gallery is the Maud Lewis House and exhibit of her paintings. Maud Lewis (1903-1970) is one of Canada's best known folk artists.






Here are some views inside the tiny house.  No electricity and no indoor plumbing.  Maud and her husband shared the house for over 30 years.  That is the actual house they've installed inside the museum, not a reproduction.





Here are a few of her paintings.







On one of the upper floors of the museum we found an exhibit that we didn't quite get, but then, I'm sure there is a lot of art that I don't "get".  It did, however, inspire me to try something artistic, which I'm sure not all of my viewers here will get.  So, maybe I did get it.  As is the case with many of my ideas, Heather was somewhat skeptical at first, but I think she now agrees it works.  A little different sort of selfie.



Click here to see a few more images from the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.