I spent about an hour and a half walking around the San Diego Zoo late Saturday afternoon. One of the nice things about getting there after 5PM is that many of the animals that spend their days sleeping are just getting going in the late afternoon. Baby hippo Adhama and his mother Funani were out swimming in big circles around their pool. Adhama seemed like he wanted to ride on his mother's back (that's not a rock under him).
I think the hippos like watching the people as much as the people like watching the hippos. I've seen them right up against the glass like this many times.
I think this guy is still mad at me from the last time I took his picture.
The meerkats, on the other hand, seem to really like having their pictures taken.
The flamingos are always fun to watch, no matter what time of day (but early evening is still the best).
The San Diego Zoo has one of the best botanical collections around.
Click here for more images from my short walk around the San Diego Zoo on Saturday, May 28, 2011.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Wandering Around Balboa Park
- Ethnic Food Fair - Balboa Park San Diego - May 29,...
- A Few From The Zoo - San Diego Zoo, Saturday May 2...
- Some New Edits From The Bernardo Winery Group Shoo...
- Wandering in the Desert - Anza Borrego - Sunday Ma...
- One Little Seahorse
- Bernardo Winery - SD-DSLR Monthly Group Shoot - Ma...
- Balboa Park Evening - Friday May 6th
- Lions and Tigers and Bears . . . Oh My!
- The Lily Pond at the San Diego Botanic Garden
- Backyard Birds
- Anza Borrego - Hiking in The Slot - April 30, 2011...
- ▼ May (12)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.