Photography . . . Travel . . .

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lunar Eclipse in San Diego - Saturday, December 10, 2011

I got up at 4:00AM on Saturday and drove down to the coast at La Jolla where I met some friends from our photo club to get some pictures of the moon in a full eclipse just before sunrise. As I was driving west I could see the moon in the sky ahead of me going into the eclipse. I actually had a pretty good view from the car as I was driving. I got to La Jolla and, along with a bunch of other folks, set up my tripod and took a couple of shots, just in time to see the moon disappear into a rather dense fog bank. Here's the one shot that is even halfway decent. At least I got a little of the orange color that happens when a full lunar eclipse is this low in the sky.




I didn't want to have the trip out there (and the effort to get up that early in the morning) be totally wasted, so I snapped a couple of shots of the waves crashing over the sea wall at the Children's Pool.






After that I wandered off to breakfast with one of my friends, and then headed down to the Zoo. Even if I didn't get any great pictures of the lunar eclipse, it was still fun to be out with a few friends enjoying the sunrise at the shore. There is supposed to be another eclipse like this in three years.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.