We spent the first part of our vacation this year in Palm Springs, touristing around the area with some good friends who live nearby in Indio. The weather was perfect for a weekend in the desert. We booked a room at the downtown Hilton, which is within walking distance of the shops and restaurants on Palm Canyon Drive.
One of our first stops was the Palm Springs Visitor Center, which is housed in the recently renovated Albert Frey designed former Tramway Gas Station. Frey designed the building in the Modernism style in 1965.
It was pretty crowded out on Palm Canyon Drive on both Friday and Saturday nights. It's a fun place to walk around, people watch, and have a nice meal. We found a good Florentine-style Italian restaurant on Friday, and a Belgian/French one on Saturday. Both were excellent.
We also spent some time at the Palm Springs Air Museum, the Palm Springs Art Museum, and the Living Desert (a cross between a botanical garden and a zoo). I'll put up separate posts for each of those.
Click here to see more images from our general wandering around Palm Springs, as well as a few images from Diamond Lake Reservoir and Shields Date Farm, a couple of places we stopped on our way to Palm Springs.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- Christopher and Connor (Malayan Tiger Cubs)
- Merry Christmas - Holiday Lights at the Hotel del ...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 8) - Scottsdal...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 7) - Cliff Dwe...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 6) - Bedrock C...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 5) - Grand Can...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 4) - From Zion...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 3) - Zion Nati...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 2) - Valley of...
- Road Trip ! - Southwestern US (Part 1) - Mojave Pr...
- A Few New Tiger Photos (and a Red Panda) - San Die...
- Lunar Eclipse in San Diego - Saturday, December 10...
- The Living Desert - Palm Desert, California
- Palm Springs Art Museum
- Palm Springs Air Museum
- Palm Springs Weekend - Nov 25-27, 2011
- Thanksgiving Day at the San Diego Zoo
- ▼ December (17)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.