Heather and I decided to take the scenic route home after the Group Shoot lunch today, in this case that meant Rancho Sante Fe Road to San Elijo Road to Elfin Forest and eventually Harmony Grove Road. Lots to see along that route, including the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve, which is a rather large complex of hiking trails up to and around the Olivenhain Dam & Reservoir. I knew the reservoir was there, but had never figured out how to get up there. The trail starts at an interpretive center just off of Harmony Grove Road, at 492' elevation. We went about 1.5 miles up to a picnic area overlooking the reservoir at 1,140'.
On the way back down we came to a sign that showed 0.4 mile back to the start if we went the way we came up, or 0.6 mile if we took an alternate trail.
It was not a tough decision to decide on the alternate, since it would be new. Then we saw this sign, just a few yards down the trail.
This is Southern California, it's basically a desert, how hard could the "unimproved creek crossing" be? After about 0.5 mile, almost all down a pretty steep hill, we found out. Maybe if Heather and I didn't both have such short legs we could have made it across the last group of rocks, but we could tell it would not have ended well.
So, back up the hill to the junction, and back down the way we came.
Click here to see more from our little (and a mile longer than we expected) hike this afternoon.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (64)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- San Diego Night Shots
- Steak and Neon - Fat City Steakhouse, San Diego
- San Diego Waterfront - Urban Trees and Maritime Mu...
- The Slot & Buttes Pass (Anza Borrego Desert State ...
- Happy Chinese New Year
- Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve
- Leo Carrillo Ranch - Carlsbad, CA - SD-DSLR Februa...
- Desert Road Trip - Day 6 - Still Taking the Long W...
- Desert Road Trip - Day 5 - Taking the Long Way Hom...
- Las Vegas - City Center
- Las Vegas - Jan 31-Feb 3
- ▼ February (12)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.