My friend Marty and I got together on Tuesday evening for some night photography in San Diego. We had a couple of ideas we wanted to try out, and Heather was standing by with bail money just in case the second idea turned out to be a bad one.
Our first idea was to shoot the downtown skyline from the end of Harbor Island, and we found a nice spot near the old paddle wheel boat/restaurant. We even pulled out some flashlights and tried a bit of light painting on the rocks, trees and the paddle wheel boat.
Click here for more night time shots from San Diego.
Idea number 2, the one that had the potential to result in Heather having to find a bail bondsman in the middle of the night, was to find a place overlooking the airport, where we could get some shots of the runway lights all lit up. Years ago no one would have thought twice about 2 guys standing on a street corner on a hill overlooking the airport, with tripods and long lenses pointed down towards the incoming planes. Today. . . well, just ask those 2 Brits who are in trouble in India. We were directly under the landing path, and the planes were coming in from behind us right over our heads, and not all that high at that point either. I did not have a really long lens with me (Marty did), but still got a few shots. We decided that video would have been much more dramatic, and we're also thinking of trying this again when there is enough light to actually see the planes, not just the light trails. We think we may have spotted an even better vantage point too, so stay tuned for more in the future.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- ► 2011 (121)
- San Diego Night Shots
- Steak and Neon - Fat City Steakhouse, San Diego
- San Diego Waterfront - Urban Trees and Maritime Mu...
- The Slot & Buttes Pass (Anza Borrego Desert State ...
- Happy Chinese New Year
- Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve
- Leo Carrillo Ranch - Carlsbad, CA - SD-DSLR Februa...
- Desert Road Trip - Day 6 - Still Taking the Long W...
- Desert Road Trip - Day 5 - Taking the Long Way Hom...
- Las Vegas - City Center
- Las Vegas - Jan 31-Feb 3
- ▼ February (12)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.