I got together with a few friends for a day of photos and exploration in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, on the eastern edge of San Diego County. It was a particularly nice day out there, and with a storm (of sorts) brewing to the west we had lots of nice clouds in the sky, but not a lot of wind.
Our little group at one of our stops in San Felipe Wash. Mitch and his family in the yellow Xterra, Mark in his Frontier, Rae and Robert in their Jeep, and my black Xterra in the lead.
After lunch we went for a hike in The Slot. Considering just how narrow this trail gets in places I'm thinking we should do this before lunch next time.
If you like to think too much about earthquakes (and there are a lot of them in Anza Borrego), don't look up when you walk under this thing.
After hiking in the bottom of that very narrow slot canyon we went for something about as opposite as you can get - the Goat Trail. The views from the high point were pretty good.
As we headed north towards the pavement the setting sun was to our backs. About 20 minutes before it set behind the mountains the sun dropped out from beneath the clouds and bathed the mountains to the north of us in a deep golden light. It just kept getting better as we travelled north through the sandy washes.
The sun had set by the time we reached the pavement. We stopped to air up our tires and visit for bit before heading for home.
Click here to see a few more images from Sunday 15 January 2012 in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (64)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- Calli the Cat
- San Diego Zoo's Safari Park - A Short Afternoon Wa...
- An Evening View of the San Diego Skyline from Coro...
- A Quick Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Zoo - January 22, 2012
- Brothers - Christopher & Connor - Malayan Tiger Cu...
- Anza Borrego - Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Sat...
- Year of the Dragon - Happy Lunar New Year!
- Another View of Hoover Dam
- Anza Borrego Desert State Park - Sunday 15 January...
- Leo Carrillo Ranch - Carlsbad, CA - San Diego dSLR...
- San Diego Zoo - Jan 7, 2012
- Old Town San Diego
- New Year's Day at the San Diego Zoo
- Wandering In The Desert On The Last Day Of The Yea...
- ▼ January (15)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.