The new female fishing cat, Dow, was out when I got to the San Diego Zoo this morning. She's a beautiful cat, but was sitting way up in the back behind some brush. These are heavily cropped in order to see her face.
In talking with her keeper, it sounds like Dow is still getting used to her new home.
The Malayan tiger cubs and their mother were all three sleeping in their little cave when I first got there. After a while Mek finally got up, and then a little later one of the cubs did as well. Here's Mek, something has caught her attention.
It seems like I wound up with a bunch of close-ups this time.
Here's Christopher, one of the cubs. It was pretty dark in the cave, and there was also a fair amount of glare on the glass.
Here's his brother Conner.
After a while the cubs headed out into the open to wait for some snacks.
I ran into a friend while I was watching the cubs, she commented that "they're finally growing into their paws". I would say she was right.
On the way out I made a brief stop to see Camo, the new male tapir. I caught a quick glimpse of him before he disappeared.
Click here to see a few more pictures from my few hours at the San Diego Zoo this morning.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (77)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- Calli the Cat
- San Diego Zoo's Safari Park - A Short Afternoon Wa...
- An Evening View of the San Diego Skyline from Coro...
- A Quick Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Zoo - January 22, 2012
- Brothers - Christopher & Connor - Malayan Tiger Cu...
- Anza Borrego - Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Sat...
- Year of the Dragon - Happy Lunar New Year!
- Another View of Hoover Dam
- Anza Borrego Desert State Park - Sunday 15 January...
- Leo Carrillo Ranch - Carlsbad, CA - San Diego dSLR...
- San Diego Zoo - Jan 7, 2012
- Old Town San Diego
- New Year's Day at the San Diego Zoo
- Wandering In The Desert On The Last Day Of The Yea...
- ▼ January (15)
- ► 2011 (121)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.