Photography . . . Travel . . .

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo

One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday or Sunday morning is to take a walk with my camera around the San Diego Zoo. There are a few spots I pretty much always hit, like Tiger River, and then I pick a few other areas and rotate them so I get to see something different from the last trip as well. This morning I started off in the reptile area, where I found some colorful lizards, and the Galapagos tortoises too.


I didn't realize that the big Galapagos tortoises liked to hang out in the pool, but it appears that they do.


It turns out the baby flamingos are not quite the color you might expect.


I always try to get to Tiger River a little early for the 11:30AM Keeper Talk. When I arrived at 11:00AM the female Malayan tiger Danai was napping on the hillside. Once the keeper showed up she got a lot more attentive. Maybe it was the fresh chunks of beef heart that were being tossed to her.


That blurry spot right in front of her nose is actually one of the chunks of meat on its way to her.



I also got a chance to get a look at the two little 3-month old tiger cubs that are not out on public display yet. I think they merit a separate post.

After the tigers I stopped by the hippo pool, and managed to grab a couple of shots of Funani and young son Adhama out for swim. This is certainly not something you ever want to see this close if you're out swimming in a river.


I took a trip up to the lion enclosure to see what I might find. It was already pretty hot by Noon or so, this guy had the right idea, a nap in the shade of a big tree.


I stopped in to the Hummingbird House on my way out, and found this.


Click here to see more images from my walk around the San Diego Zoo this morning.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.