I wandered around the San Diego Zoo today with a couple of friends from out of town. Their main goal was to see the tigers, but before we got to Tiger River we spent some time with the reptiles.
The Komodo Dragon (I guess this is technically a monitor lizard) was up by the glass, watching all the people walk by (and probably wondering which one would make a nice snack).
I think this is some sort of iguana. The red eyes are interesting.
We got there pretty early, so we had time to walk all the way around the outdoor reptile exhibits and the Reptile House. There was some glare on the glass at times, but it's always fun to see the snakes up close . . . when they're behind a strong piece of glass.
This cobra was pretty cool.
We did see some birds along the way as well, including this one half-hidden behind some bushes.
Finally, some tigers. It was pretty crowded, and even though we stayed at this one spot for over an hour I only took a few shots. I stepped back and let some other people in, but I did manage to get my friend to a prime viewing spot right on the rail, and she got lots of pictures, so we got what we came for. Here's a shot of Mek and one of her 3.5 month old cubs. I'm not sure if this is Christopher or Conner. Either way, I think he's grown a bit since I saw him last week.
Here's a close-up of Mek.
And here's a close-up of Danai, the other adult female Malayan tiger at the Zoo.
We even got to see some great little birds in the hummingbird house.
All in all it was a pretty good day to wander around the Zoo.
Click here to see a few more images from the San Diego Zoo on Sunday, July 24, 2011, including some interesting shots of the Galapagos Tortoises.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2018 (59)
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- (Mostly) Reptiles at the San Diego Zoo
- Esmeralda - Chilean Navy Tall Ship in San Diego
- Tigers at the San Diego Zoo
- Liberty Station / Former Naval Training Center San...
- Cabrillo Monument / Point Loma Lighthouse - SD-DSL...
- Former Naval Training Center San Diego
- Maneki Neko - Japanese Beckoning Cats at the Minge...
- Malayan Tiger Cubs - San Diego Zoo
- Saturday Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo
- Evening Photos at the Coronado Ferry Landing
- ▼ July (10)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.