Photography . . . Travel . . .

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Friday Late Afternoon Walk Around the Zoo

I took a walk around the San Diego Zoo late in the day on Friday. Little Adhama and mom Funani were swimming around the Hippo Pool. Adhama would roll onto his back under water on the bottom of the pool and mom would push him from the side and roll him around. Every now and then they would pop their noses above the surface for a breath of air. It was a lot of fun to watch, and would have made a great video, but with a long lens on the camera I wasn't going to get many pictures. Here's Adhama cruising through the water.




Time to come up for air.




Here comes mom right behind.




A little further walk down the trail past the hippos there are some really cool little monkeys and river otters. The otters must have been taking a break, as I didn't see them, but the monkeys were out watching all the people walk by.






I thought I would try to get some better pictures of the pygmy hippos, as they are usually pretty active in the late afternoon. Lots of interaction this time between the hippos and the little monkeys that live with them.




For the most part the hippos don't seem to mind the monkeys riding on their backs. They don't seem to mind the jumping on and off as they go in and out of the pool either, but occasionally I did see a snap or two that could have ended badly for a monkey - but those little guys are really quick.




After a quick stop in the Reptile House it was time to head home and cook some dinner.






Click here to see more images from Friday afternoon, Aug 19, at the San Diego Zoo.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.

Blog Archive

Followers

All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at frank@frankbaiamonte.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage. You can also see more on my Instagram page @frankbaiamonte.

Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.