One of my usual first stops at the Zoo is the flamingo pool. The young ones are starting to get some color finally (they start out as completely grey). I'm not quite sure what this is all about, or if it really is a mother and her child even, but these two were stuck together like this for at least four full minutes that I observed. They never once broke contact during that time, although they did move around quite a bit. I noticed a second adult and young flamingo doing the same thing on the other side of the enclosure as well.
(Edit 09-24-11: One of the keepers told me today that this is how flamingos feed their young. The mother is dripping regurgitated food into the young ones mouth. She told me that she's seen this go on for as long as 20 minutes.)
I still can't tell Christopher and Conner, the two Malayan tiger cubs, apart. They're almost 5 months old now, and getting bigger each time I see them. I think they're up to almost 50 lb. now. Here's one of them, with his arms wrapped around Mom's neck - check out the size of those front paws.
I think Mek prefers to be left alone.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- San Diego Zoo - Tiger Cubs and One Cool Looking Bi...
- Mother and Child Bonding - at the San Diego Zoo
- Dinner and Some Clicks - Evening Rambles with San ...
- More Malayan Tigers (and a Mandrill)
- Friday Late Afternoon Walk Around the Zoo
- Malayan Tiger Cubs at the San Diego Zoo
- A Lot Can Happen In 20 Seconds
- A Few More From Sunday at the San Diego Zoo
- Sunday at the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Waterfront & Maritime Museum - SD-dSLR M...
- A Few More Tiger Pictures From Saturday Morning
- Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo - Tigers and...
- Chihuly Bridge of Glass - An Evening Stroll in Tac...
- ▼ August (13)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at email@example.com to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.