This was a great morning for a walk around the San Diego Zoo. I met some friends from the local photo club at Tiger River. The cubs Christopher and Conner were out, playing and exploring around the enclosure. When I first arrived they were up towards the top of the hill, I had to shoot this through a piece of not-very-clean glass.
Mom Mek was there as well. Mek knows when it's getting close to 11:30, she heads down to the spot where she knows the keeper will be tossing some sort of tasty treats to her. Here she is watching as a piece of beef heart flies her way.
Here are a few with the little guys in the background. They're up to about 35 pounds now.
The little guys alternated between resting in the bushes and chasing each other around.
Along the way we checked in on the hippos - Funani and her young son Adhama were hanging out at the glass wall napping in the sun. I don't know if hippos actually smile, but little Adhama sure has a contented look on his face.
There were some cool little monkeys out.
We took a quick walk through the Children's Zoo, and found this butterfly.
Back in a seldom-visited corner of the Zoo, not too far from the Children's Zoo area, is the ocelot. He's tough to see, as the caging is pretty thick, but I managed to snag this shot through the cage.
On our way out we stopped in to see one of my favorites, the monitor lizard. I got quite a few shots that I liked, and had a hard time picking which ones to post here. You can see more at the link below (along with a lot more tiger pictures too).
This one has some serious claws.
Click here to see more images from today, Saturday Aug 6, 2011 at the San Diego Zoo.
Photography . . . Travel . . .
- Frank B. Baiamonte
- San Diego, California, United States
- About me . . . When I'm not working I like to be out exploring and photographing. I do this blog just for fun, and to be able to share these images with friends. I hope you enjoy viewing these images as much as I enjoyed creating them.
- ► 2017 (82)
- ► 2016 (62)
- ► 2015 (43)
- ► 2014 (50)
- ► 2013 (79)
- ► 2012 (123)
- San Diego Zoo - Tiger Cubs and One Cool Looking Bi...
- Mother and Child Bonding - at the San Diego Zoo
- Dinner and Some Clicks - Evening Rambles with San ...
- More Malayan Tigers (and a Mandrill)
- Friday Late Afternoon Walk Around the Zoo
- Malayan Tiger Cubs at the San Diego Zoo
- A Lot Can Happen In 20 Seconds
- A Few More From Sunday at the San Diego Zoo
- Sunday at the San Diego Zoo
- San Diego Waterfront & Maritime Museum - SD-dSLR M...
- A Few More Tiger Pictures From Saturday Morning
- Morning Walk Around the San Diego Zoo - Tigers and...
- Chihuly Bridge of Glass - An Evening Stroll in Tac...
- ▼ August (13)
- ► 2010 (99)
All of the content and images on this site (c) Frank B. Baiamonte. If you would like to use any of these images please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss terms of usage. Note that images from the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park are not available for commercial usage.
Header image: Cibola National Wildlife Refuge, Cibola, Arizona. End image: Downtown San Diego, California skyline from Coronado Island. Profile picture: Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho, by Heather Baiamonte.